David Thompson, MD is board certified in both Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine. He serves as part-time faculty attending in the Northwestern Memorial Hospital Emergency Department. He also serves as Chief Medical Information Officer for Schumacher Clinical Partners, providing strategic guidance and leadership in the areas of technology, medical coding, compliance, and education.
Schmitt-Thompson Clinical Content
- Part-time faculty attending in the Northwestern Memorial Hospital Emergency Department.
- Chief Medical Information Officer, ECI Healthcare Partners
- Strong interests in the areas of telephone triage, quality improvement, and patient satisfaction, including:
- Benchmarking work with medical call centers, aggregating data from more than 5 million telephone triage calls.
- Publication of an annual report.
- Chair and/or member of hospital based and national quality assurance committees.
- Development of databases and educational tools to promote quality improvement for medical call centers and emergency departments.
- Author of three integrated sets of clinical content, for use in software:
- Adult Telephone Triage Algorithms for after-hours triage/advice nurses (2000-2015)
- Adult Telephone Triage Algorithms for office-hours triage/advice nurses (2002-2015).
- Adult Symptom Checker, self-triage and self-care guidelines (2000-2015). Also available in iPhone and Android mobile applications (2009-2015).
- Author of (Adult Telephone Protocols: Office Version). 3rd Edition 2013. Published by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Author of numerous medical articles, with several in two fields of special research interest to him: patient satisfaction and chief complaint coding.
- Lectures in the areas of telephone triage, professional coding, quality improvement, and patient satisfaction.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering from the University of Illinois
- Medical Degree, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago IL
- Board-certified in Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine
- Fellow of the American College of Emergency Physicians