Articles & Research
(click on an article to download it in Adobe PDF format)
- Call Prioritization Index v2
- Decreasing ER Utilization with Nurse Telephone Triage (5/2014)
- Pediatric Call Centers: Future Trends
- Clinical Content – Important Aspects (2015)
- The Case for Publicly Funded Medical Call Centers (7/2009)
- Medical Call Center Benchmarking Report – Excerpt: Top 40 Adult
and Pediatric Protocols
- Telephone Triage Liability: Protecting Your Patients and Your Practice from Harm
- Getting Paid for Nurse Telephone Care, Andrew Hertz, MD, FAAP
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Policy Statement – Payment for Telephone Care
Citations of Published Articles using Schmitt Clinical Content
Barber JW, King WD, Monroe KW, Nichols MH. Evaluation of emergency department referrals by telephone triage. Pediatrics. 2000;105:819-821.
Belman S, Chandramouli V, Schmitt BD, Poole SR, et al. An assessment of pediatric after-hours telephone care: a 1-year experience. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2005;159(2):145-149.
Belman S, Murphy J, Steiner J, Kempe A. Consistency of triage decisions by call center nurses and adherence to protocol by call center nurses. Amb Pediatrics. 2002;2(5):396-400.
Bunik M, Glazner JE, Chandramouli V, Emsermann CB, Hegarty T, Kempe A. Pediatric telephone call centers: how do they affect health care use and costs? Pediatrics. 2007 Feb;119(2):e305-13.
Kempe A, Dempsey C, Whitefield J, et al. Appropriateness of urgent referrals by nurses at a hospital-based pediatric call center. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2000;154:355-360.
Kempe A, Dempsey C, Hegarty T, et al. Reducing after-hours referrals by an after-hours call center with second-level physician triage. Pediatrics. 2000;106(1 Pt 2):226-230.
Kempe A, Luberti A, Hertz A, et al. The delivery of pediatric after-hours care by call centers: a multicenter study of parental perceptions and compliance. Pediatrics.2001;108:1-7.
Kempe A, Luberti A, Belman S. et al. Outcomes associated with pediatric after-hours care by call centers: a multicenter study. Amb Pediatrics. 2003; 3(4), 211-217.
Kempe A, Bunik M, Ellis J, Magid D, Hegarty T, Dickenson LM, Steiner JF. How safe is triage by an after hours telephone call center? Pediatrics. 2006; 118: 457-463.
Poole SR, Schmitt BD, Carruth T, Peterson-Smith A, et al. After-hours telephone coverage: the application of an area-wide telephone triage and advice system for pediatric practices.Pediatrics. 1993;92(5):670-9.
Scarfone R, Luberti A, Mistry R. Outcomes of children referred to an emergency department by an after-hours call center. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2004;20:367-372.