About the Authors
Barton Schmitt, MD
Barton Schmitt, MD wrote the first book on pediatric telephone
triage in 1980. He is a practicing pediatrician and has served as
the Medical Director of the Pediatric Call Center at Children’s
Hospital of Colorado since 1988. The call center covers evening
and weekend calls for over 500 pediatricians and family
physicians in Colorado and Wyoming.
Schmitt-Thompson Clinical Content
- Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
- Director of General Consultative Services at Children’s Hospital Colorado, and attending physician in Child Health Clinic.
- Author of three integrated sets of clinical content for use in software:
- Pediatric Telephone Triage Algorithms for after-hours triage/advice nurses (1994-2015).
- Pediatric Telephone Triage Protocols for office-hours triage/advice nurses (2002-2015).
- Pediatric Symptom Checker, web-based ill child self-triage and self-care guides for parents (2000-2015). Also available as iPhone and Android mobile applications (2009-2015).
- Author of more than 100 articles and books for physicians, nurses, and parents.
- The first book on pediatric telephone triage (Pediatric Telephone Advice, 1980). 3rd Edition in 2004.
- The first computerized pediatric telephone triage algorithms (NHES, 1994). 20th Edition in 2015.
- Telephone triage book for office practice (Pediatric Telephone Protocols – Office Version), AAP. 14th Edition in 2012.
- Two award-winning child care books for parents: (Your Child’s Health, 2005) and (My Child is Sick!, AAP Publications, 2011).
- Telephone triage book for office practice (Pediatric Telephone Protocols – Office Version), AAP. 14th Edition in 2013.
- Honors: Received the American Academy of Pediatrics C. Anderson Aldrich award for contributions in Child Development in 1994. Received the A.A.P. Education award for contributions in Pediatric Education in 2004.
- Degree in Chemical Engineering from Yale University.
- Doctorate of Medicine from Cornell University.
- Pediatric residency was completed at the University of Minnesota.
David Thompson, MD
David Thompson, MD is board certified in both Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine. He serves as part-time faculty attending in the Northwestern Memorial Hospital Emergency Department. He also serves as Chief Medical Information Officer for ECI Healthcare Partners, providing strategic guidance and leadership in the areas of technology, medical coding, compliance, and education.
Schmitt-Thompson Clinical Content
- Part-time faculty attending in the Northwestern Memorial Hospital Emergency Department.
- Chief Medical Information Officer, ECI Healthcare Partners
- Strong interests in the areas of telephone triage, quality improvement, and patient satisfaction, including:
- Benchmarking work with medical call centers, aggregating data from more than 5 million telephone triage calls.
- Publication of an annual report.
- Chair and/or member of hospital based and national quality assurance committees.
- Development of databases and educational tools to promote quality improvement for medical call centers and emergency departments.
- Author of three integrated sets of clinical content, for use in software:
- Adult Telephone Triage Algorithms for after-hours triage/advice nurses (2000-2015)
- Adult Telephone Triage Algorithms for office-hours triage/advice nurses (2002-2015).
- Adult Symptom Checker, self-triage and self-care guidelines (2000-2015). Also available in iPhone and Android mobile applications (2009-2015).
- Author of (Adult Telephone Protocols: Office Version). 3rd Edition 2013. Published by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Author of numerous medical articles, with several in two fields of special research interest to him: patient satisfaction and chief complaint coding.
- Lectures in the areas of telephone triage, professional coding, quality improvement, and patient satisfaction.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering from the University of Illinois
- Medical Degree, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago IL
- Board-certified in Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine
- Fellow of the American College of Emergency Physicians